This series is a public version of something I’ve been doing privately for years. I do a self-check on my birthday and at the end of the year. It’s often a painful process, but I think I’m better off for having done it. I hope the same is true for you.
It’s easy to drift in life. We get so caught up in day to day activity that we lose track of were we’ve been, where we are, and where we’re going. This short series is a reset button for your Christian life – something to help you gauge where you are in the important areas of life and get you back on track where you’re off.
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
The point of today’s passages is that you are supposed to grow as a Christian. If you’re not moving forward, you’re losing ground. So, we’re going to consider your progress, or lack of progress, as a Christian.
You’re supposed to grow in grace. That is, you are supposed to experience more and more of God’s help in your life. He wants to answer your prayers, give you victory over sin, make you effective in ministry, so you need to increase in how you let Him help.
You’re also supposed to grow in knowledge. That is, you are supposed to get to know God better over time. Your intellectual understanding of the important doctrines of the faith should increase and you should develop a deeper friendship with the Lord.
All of that assusmes, though, that you already have a realtionship with the Lord, so that’s where we’ll start. Are you saved? Have you ever personally put your trust in Jesus Christ as your Savior? Without this, nothing else we’re going to talk about this week matters. You can give and serve and still be lost. You can go to church and still go to Hell. So, what do you need to know and do to be forgiven of your sins, have God’s friendship and a future in Heaven?
- Do you know that you are a sinner – guilty before God and unable to do anything on your own to remove that guilt?
- For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
- For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)
- But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom 5:8)
- For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
- That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Rom 10:9-10)
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (Joh 3:16)
- For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Rom 10:13)
If you believe these things, it would be good to tell God so in a prayer like this:
“Father, You’re right about me, I am a sinner. I deserve judgment, but I grateful that Your Son, Jesus, took my punishment. I want we He did to count for me – I receive Him as my Savior.”
Just that simply, you can receive the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ.
- Have you trusted Christ as your Savior? If not, what is keeping you from becoming a Christian right now?
- If you are a Christian, have you grown in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ in the past year?
- What could you do today to make progress in your Christian life?